Functional medicine is an alternative medical model that utilizes alternative, non-pharmaceutical methods to treat the underlying or root cause to an illness or disease. This means that the doctor and patient work together to assess diet and lifestyle to determine what the contributing factors or the individuals illness are.
With functional medicine, the idea is that each case has its own specific issues that link to their symptoms. For example, if you are battling depression, many factors can be attributed, such as environment, nutrition, genetic predisposition, or lifestyle. Understanding the core issue can help in developing a long-term plan and put systems in place to relieve the condition.
Functional medicine offers treatments that are specifically designed to help you not only function better but also feel better. It can help patients looking for relief from nutritional deficiencies, depression, obesity, ED (erectile dysfunction), or reduced sex drive.
Benefits of Functional Medicine
Because each patient is unique, the treatment plan they receive will also be specific and unique to their individual needs.
Functional medicine can offer patients alternative solutions for a variety of conditions with many additional benefits that include:
- A strengthened immune system
- More energy
- Wider range of motion
- Increased mobility
- Better moods and less mood swings
- Reduced stress and anxiety
- Less risk of infection or sickness
- Increased sex drive
- Weight loss
- Clearer skin
- Stronger nail and hair
- And many more
Often only small changes in diet, lifestyle, and activity may be all that is needed to start to see an increase in health. Some patients who have more severe conditions may require more adjustments.
Based on the specific symptoms, the patient’s treatments may vary, one type of therapy may be all they need to address the cause, or several may be used in combination to get to the root of various issues.
Some functional medicine treatments may include:
- Weight Loss Plan – A weight loss program can help a patient focus on an eating plan that is customized specifically for their individual body style. This can help to ensure that the weight is lost at a healthy pace without feeling like they are depriving themselves. By utilizing this method, weight loss often sustains long-term.
- Hormone Replacement Therapy – This treatment can benefit both men and women who struggle with a decrease in sex drive, mood swings, depression, and fatigue. Hormone therapy helps to regulate and balance hormones to help reduce or eliminate corresponding symptoms.
- IV Therapy – IV therapy is a way for patients to get a higher concentration for vital nutrients into the bloodstream. This helps to reverse nutritional deficiencies which can increase your immune system and overall health.
If you are looking for an alternative to prescription drugs or traditional medical treatments to help you live a more balanced and active lifestyle while also feeling better, functional medicine offers patients an alternative way to get back to feeling like themselves again. With a custom treatment plan you can rest assured that you are getting your specific needs met.